Monday, January 23, 2012

How about a Recipe with "Hay"?

CHALLENGE SFC0213 - DAISY THE HOLSTEIN COW

The Challenges at Squigglefly are always so much fun!  This is one of the reasons I enjoy being on the Design Team with them.  Helps lift my day for sure.

Rhonda came up with a beauty of a challenge this week.  Here is Rhonda's required recipe:
1. use ribbon or twine
2. glitter (something sparkly)
3. a brad somewhere on the card

Daisy and Daphne are some of our new releases from last week by Fawn Palmer, a new artist with us. Daisy apparently is a Holstein or Ayrshire depending on your colors and Daphne could be a black Angus, brown Swiss or any solid colored breed.  I paired Daisy with a stamp I've kept for years of an old barn in the background.  I used a 6x6 to get ample space and pop dots to bring Daisy to the foreground!  I accidentally printed Hay! a bit large so I just cut and embossed it on one of the new cuttlebug folders that do this.  Coloring is of course with copics and distressing by liquid chalks. 

The twine is wound around the top of the card; the brad is in Daisy's ear (ala Diamond Stud!) and the glitter is on the brad (in the ear).  And please do remember that cows do have tags in their ears, and Daisy is UDDERLY REMARKABLE with her stud! PUN INTENDED! ;)



 Here is another take on the recipe............A 4.25X5.5 card mounted on a wonderful boy text dp.  I've outlined in gold pen for more drama and off set the swirly balloons from the die beneath it for emphasis.  The bling (required) is in the upper right corner (butterfly), the brads (required) are the center of the swirly balloons, and the required twine is blue and going vertical on the left.  This is a wonderful new image by our new artist, Betsy LePlatt, and it's called appropriately SWIRLY BIRTHDAY BALLOONS!

I chose to go a different route and rather than color the image, I printed the digi image in a royal blue so I could get a type of monochrome effect.  I also did this for 4 other colors and acquired myself 12 new birthday cards very quickly.  With the wishes on the front of the card, I can place a gift card inside with a sweet message from me.

Have an udderly fantastic day - go to Squigglefly's freebies or check out all the new artists' work, become a loyal follower and grab a great image.  Maybe even color up a cow!

8 comments:

Holly said...

Wow Linda, two great cards! I absolutely love your first card! Your coloring on that cow is remarkable, and I adore the idea of her ear stud! The whole card is a wonderful scene! Your second card is a really cheerful birthday card! What great thinking making yourself a set in different colors! that would make a nice gift in itself!

Shawna said...

I love what you have done with Daisy! This is just the cutest card!

Melissa said...

Both cards are great! I'm going to try and play along this week!

bumblebee creations said...

I love both of your cards!!! Linda-they are amazing! I hadn't even caught the second image--will have to go search for it now! Great great job!

Holley (Tondre) Barnhart said...

Too cute and TWO samples wow. Then I look down and see all that snow. BRRRR, makes me appreciate the upper 70s weather I have. Can you believe I was out walking at 9pm last night wearing a long sleeve shirt and NO jacket at all. That's Texas in Jan!! Hugs Linda. Love your cards. Holley

Kathy Bradley said...

Linda,
I love your adorable scene with Daisy (and I love her ear stud - very fashion forward)!! Wonderfully cute card (and awesome coloring). What a pretty 2nd card you made for the challenge - and making several up is perfect.

Charlene Mitchell said...

Hay Linda! LOVE the glittery ear stud - very imaginative! Great job with the image and it looks awesome with the bkgrd. Love the monotone look of your second card too - bkgrd paper is great!

Stef H (Glitterbabe) said...

these are both stunning, but i just love that cow! your coloring is wonderful!

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. Please leave a little love!