Saturday, May 21, 2011

Coca Cola can meets flower!

The following 6x6 card project is entered in the Squigglefly blogspot challenge as well as Joan's Gardens card challenge.
Miss Victoria Kitten from Squigglefly.com
The following tag is entered into Joan's Gardens Challenge.
Last week I was fortunate enough to win a free image from Squigglefly by participating in one of their wonderful challenges on the Squigglefly Challenge Blog.  So this week, why not use that image in their next challenge?!!!   I just love this little kitten anyway!  In fact, I am always intrigued with cat's eyes.

I was just out of my realm when I took on the latest Squigglefly challenge! Believe me I am not a metal worker - nor do I want to be! However, to be totally out of my realm (their challenge) I knew I had to do something I totally resist doing! So I cut up a Coca Cola can (empty of course!) - and began my project! Here's a quick tut on what I did:
I don't have any fancy machines other than my Cuttlebug and my Sizzix for cutting materials, so I used the trustworthy Sizzix and a multi flower die.
Below are the results of the cuts in the aluminum.  It cut much easier than I expected and it tore very easily I found out too!  Ugh!
So then I decided to get out the Alcohol inks that I still haven't used - why not challenge myself a bit further.  And oooooooh I love how these meld together!  Woo hoo - I'll do more with the inks!
Then I pulled out Divine Swirls for the Cuttlebug - I just knew that embellishing the flowers with this embossing die would be the cat's meow for sure!  (pun intended)
Just had to sand a little bit of the paint off the embossed areas to give it a bit more elegance......
Okay, now to check on my image.  I always do images first, so this is just a plate of how I printed them out prior to coloring with my copics.  If anyone is curious as to what colors I used, here you go:
HAT:  YR31; YR23; YR00 YR000 * CAT: C1; C3 YG03; YG63 * FLOWER R00; R20; R22; R24 * BASKET E2; E7; E11 * BACKGROUND E000 * HAT BAND V12; V000 0
Pulling out supplies I had in my stash; thanks to all my friends in our Scrapbook group I had a lot of vintage items I could use.
Vintage distressing on some items like the little tag, some beautiful vintage inks on the doily; some hot glue to help with attaching ...  and wallah!  Miss Victoria enters the latest Squigglefly challenge as well as Joan's Garden final card and tag challenge til fall!  The lovely tag will go on my great granddaughter's birthday gift and I know she'll love the tag better than the gift - she's a kitty lover!
Thank you for visiting.........come back again.  Please leave me a comment if you have the time.  Hugz, Linda!

9 comments:

Holly said...

Linda, this is so darling, and that flower is super cool! It's got such a wonderful color to it. I really like how you've colored the cat too - those eyes really pop!
Thanks for playing in Squigglefly's challenge! It's good to see you use your prize!

fialka012 said...

❤❤❤

Pat said...

Gorgeous card, Linda! I found when I cut the soda cans I ended up cutting myself more than the tin! Love how those flowers turned out, and your coloring is spot on!

GLENDA BROOKS said...

Your flowers are wonderful! I use the cuttlebug for these. Just be careful using coke cans they cut so easily! I made snowflakes to hang on the tree at Christmas. Just painted white. I have cut up coke cans stored somewhere...I may need to pull them back out!

Colleen said...

Linda,
This is adorable! I've never tried cutting a can before I will have to put that on my list!

Joan Fricker said...

Linda, what a cool card. Love your explanation for the Coke can. Great job on both your tag and card.

Thanks so much for joining us for Joan's Gardens last Card and Tag Challenge for the summer. I always love your creations. Keep watching though, as Selma and I have some fun things planned.

Joan
www.atjoansgardens.com

Sylvia said...

What fun, Linda! I love your metal flowers. Are the edges sharp? I have held back using my sizzix and metal because of that. Your card is lovely!

*Vicki* said...

WOW WOW WOW!!! This is totally amazing my friend!! I adore your coloring on this image and your flower is so AWESOME!! What a brilliant take on this challenge girl...you rocked it for sure! :) Such a beautiful creation!! Thanks so much for joining us at the Squigglefly Challenge in our "anything but the usual" last week! Smiles, *Vicki* ~ Squigglefly Team Leader

Teresa said...

OH MY GOSH!!...I never would have thought to use metal with the sizzix dies..its brilliant! And you did an awesome job with the coloring and distressing of them..amazing!
hugs,T

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. Please leave a little love!