Friday, October 29, 2010

A Natural Calendar

Joans' Garden Challenge #21
I enjoy every aspect of nature and when the challenge came along from Joan's Gardens to use something from nature, of course I knew what I'd use the last remaining section of the Christmas tree for!  My girls tell me I never throw anything away - well in this case I am glad I didn't!  I love to have a smaller calendar for each year and traditionally have always done the CD Calendar.  For 2011, however, I'm going to the 6x6 vertical calendar to sit on my desk and inspire me.  So Joan's challenge gave me the opportunity to try it out and see if I like it; and truth be known, I absolutely love it.  This little section of a pine tree trunk is totally dried over the years so my hubbie took a large green paper clip and inserted it into the center of the chunk of wood.  Now all I do is slip my calendar for the month in and out of the giant paper clip.  These would be awesome for displaying those gorgeous cards we all get and want to drool over for just a few more days before tucking them away!

Joan's requirements were:

  • Something from Nature but not flowers - Real or handcrafted (such as twigs, corn husks etc.)
  • Something Punched
  • Something Green
  • A background for your focal point such as a Spellbinders Nestie  
My backdrop is a very dark green 6.25x6.25 of bazzill.  The top layer is 6x6 and from Webster's Pages Petite Papers (gotta love those papers!).  I double mounted the calendar (which I have updated for the year 2011 now), punched some butterflies out of colorful stock with my MS butterfly punch, covered with liquid glass and bent them so they would be in flight.  Altho they don't quite look like it in the photo, they are beautiful in person.

I also have a button and leaves hot glued to the wood piece.  So in essence I followed the formula as:  something from nature is my wood piece; something punched are my butterflies; something green is ribbon/paper clips/felt flower/green ribbon, and the background of my calendar for the month is a nestie.

Thanks for visiting; please let me know your thoughts pros and con.  Now I'm off to finish my calendar and do an extra one for Mrs. Secret Claus!

6 comments:

Patty said...

I love your calendar and the base. I think it is great that you can think of so many ways to use things! This is great. Go to the "Daily Dare" and find all the challenges this will fit in and enter them. You will win something with this!

GLENDA BROOKS said...

This is awesome! I love that holder.....Your husband is so handy to have around! Oh yes, I'm loving your butterflies!

Joan Fricker said...

Great job Linda.
What a pretty calendar and one that you can enjoy all year long.

Thanks so much for playing in Joan's Gardens #21 Weeily challenge. I love your calender idea!
Joan
www.atjoansgarden.com

Linda w said...

I love the base you created for your calendar pages. What is liquid glass? Can't say I have heard of this.

stamp on...

Colleen said...

Linda,
This is so pretty. I love everything about it.

Colleen said...

Linda,
I left a little something on my blog.
http://creativepaperroom.blogspot.com/2010/11/attitude.html

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. Please leave a little love!