Wednesday, May 19, 2010

An iris is an iris is an iris.......


Well I think they said that about the rose, but it most certainly pertains to the iris. This time of year in WI we have the most beautiful irises blooming everywhere, right along with the Bridal Wreath bushes! So I want to let you see how an iris opens up. This iris used to be very chocolate but over the years is fading in color and this is perfectly normal. However their size will not change unless they are hurting for the proper soil. It's gorgeous in person, one of my very favorite flowers:
It appears as a closed bud for some time; so long that my husband and I kiddingly were betting on when and which one would open the first! We were both wrong! Those are phlox behind it.

As you can see, it's gradually changing in shape and the petals will soon unfold. There really are three petals in each layer, and each petal seems coordinated to open immediately after the other.
Oh what Mother Nature has given us, huh?

Now I will relish every morning in seeing how many more will open. I believe I counted 14 flowers in this one plant.
What is your favorite flower? Leave a comment and I'll send you some iris images to color!

3 comments:

Barbara said...

I am very envious of your flowers. I love Iris, pansies, daisies, violets. I guess I haven't met a flower that I didn't like. Wish I could say the same about people.
:O Barb

Linda W. said...

Me too Barb! I'll send you some images of irises to color - as also some pansies! :) Enjoy and thank you for the comments! Hugs, Linda

The Paper Princess said...

It's hard to pick a fave but I've always liked lillies if I had to pick just one - but seriously, just about any flower brings a smile to my face!

Hugs
Ramona
http://create-with-joy.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. Please leave a little love!